vExpert Application Experience

After been designated as a vExpert 2012, a few people came to ask me how to apply and what must be done to be a vExpert.

Though I may not know how the assessment is been done but the application did list down a few things which will be used as a consideration.

I read up the vExpert 2012 application here.  I will also list down what allows you to be consider a vExpert in order to apply before the page get removed since results of vExpert 2012 has already been released.  The shorter criteria description can be found here.

Below are the three ways you can be assessed and the benefits of been designated:

Evangelist Path
The Evangelist Path includes book authors, bloggers, tool builders, public speakers, and other IT professionals who share their knowledge and passion with others with the leverage of a personal public platform to reach many people. Employees of VMware can now also apply via the Evangelist path.

Customer Path
The Customer Path is for internal evangelists and community leaders from VMware customer organizations. They have contributed to success stories, customer references, or public interviews and talks, or were active community contributors, such as VMUG leaders.

VPN (VMware Partner Network) Path
The VPN Path is for employees of our partner companies who lead with passion and by example, who are committed to continuous learning and to making their technical knowledge and expertise available to many. This can take shape of event participation, video, IP generation, as well as public speaking engagements. 


VMware vExpert Benefits:
  • Public recognition of the vExpert award with a certificate, gift, permission to display a logo, and inclusion in any public vExpert listing
  • Access to a private vExpert community of your peers
  • Free subscription to conference session materials on VMworld.com
  • Access to exclusive events, beta programs, software licenses, and other exclusive opportunities to participate in activities with VMware. vExperts do not represent VMware and are not required to participate in any activities

Now to my experience.  I started doing professional services back in my IBM days.  Been VMware my forte I was given many opportunities to implement and support many of my customers.  However, I do not do this alone.  I was enabled by the help of the community and people in the field who are willing to share.

What makes me want to return back to the community after gaining so much you might ask?  Since I gain from it it is only fair I return this as well to benefit the others.  One person who got me to doing this is one unknown guy I know from VCP Discussion group in LinkedIn, Herminio Noguera Ruiz.

I was trying to set up my own lab in my white box using a vApp router vyatta.  I started to ask him something which I am unknown of this vApp and he provided me with many assistance even 1am his time.  I am based in Singapore and him in Europe.  Our time zone is never the same.

There are so many people willing to help individuals like us and learn together in this industry and space.

From then, I decided to start a blog which I never had.  From this learning experience, I posted my first article in Apr 2011 on setting up a single white box with three Networks.  How I got into the setting with the help of Herminio.

From there I created my first YouTube channel and started to blog and join in discussion groups e.g. VCP, VCAP-DCD, VCAP-DCA, etc. in LinkedIn and Facebook, VMWare Users - ASEAN, VMware Training.

When Feb 2012 came this year, I applied for the vExpert and was assessed and achieved it.  I was honored and grateful for all the followers I have who follows my blog and channel.

Will carry on to contribute back this community which I have greatly benefited from and I wish everyone out there to do the same.  Whether to be a vExpert or not, it doesn't really matter.  What matters is to contribute what you have gained so which community can always be alive and beneficial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why VMware or Why Not after Broadcom?

VMware by Broadcom, A New Chapter Forward

VMware vExpert 2024 Application is Now Open!