VMware vSphere Instructor Certification Workshop Experience

Recently I sign up for VMware vSphere Instructor Certification Workshop (ICW). I have never attend other instructor workshop so far but I must say, the one from VMware is not as easy as it is not just going through a typically training to be VMware Certified Instructor. You can check out more details of the requirements here. It is an intense 5 days workshop.

I am fortunate to have two of our senior technical trainers from VMware, Habeeb and Murali. Together we have 6 candidates including myself. Some are having their second attempt while some like myself is attending for the first time. Everyone are from different background. Some candidates are also trainers for other products.

We were given the course materials for vSphere 6.7: Install, Configure & Manage workshop including the instructor slides and student's notes and lab toget ourselves equipped. At the same time, we were given our first day module to present. We do have amble time for the first presentation treating everyone in the call as students as if we are in class.

Each day we are given the next topic we will be presenting. About two topics for each participant. The trainer then assess each of us on our presentation style and how we handle response from students. In this case, the students are the participates and the trainers. Questions can be deep dive out of the course module this is to simulate real class where some students can be more experienced. The assessment was to see each and everyone of us the thought process and how we handle those question whether we know or we don't and not on your knowledge that is not part of the course. And on the last day, we were given topic to present just few minutes before hand to see how we handle a sessions without much preparation.

So during the whole session, I observed how others' presented and refresh some of my knowledge at the same time, some would read from the slides while some would use their own knowledge to explain which may or may not be accurate.  Both the instructors are strict but to the point which I like about it. They do not go around the bush just to tell you something nice but rather just questions and answer without wasting everyone time.

Similarly for me, I was given exact feedback after every session and I would go back to read up to be sure. This was a good refresher for me and indeed a good experience. Been in this industry for awhile I would have forgotten many things along the way at the same time.

On the last day, the trainers will have a call with everyone individually to give them their feedback.

Having now attended the ICW, I know how the whole process. There were participants who I have read about been not fair or didn't pass and was not happy over. While some are veteran in the industry for many years for other products trainers. The process of this workshop does not assess your experience outside but what you can or cannot do in this workshop. I appreciate this whole workshop and it is not easy to be an instructor for VMware course not to mentioned the trainers for this workshops have to listen to something they teach every single day in this workshop.

There are things we often forgotten. Here are some of the points I listed based on my own experience:
  • VMware certification cannot be done without a course, which makes the course teaching more valuable for students to understand and know the knowledge before taking the exam.
  • The prices for VMware courses comparing with other technology courses are generally higher so the quality of delivery needs to be maintained.
  • Unlike other courses, exams can be taken without a course. Some trainers might felt that they are experienced enough, but some don't actually realize the importance of been able to bring the message across and not just delivering the course material.
I have participate in developing VMware exams before (check out my experience) and now having gone through ICW, I am more appreciative of the effort put into and validating good instructors for VMware courses. If you ever come across or attended a VMware course, appreciate that these trainers are not any course trainers you might encounter before. They have really gone through an intensive 5 days instructor workshop to be where they are. Some might have done this a few times.

Comments

Belhassen said…
Hi Wee Kiong,

Appreciate your post, I may go for the VCI Workshop as well, so I needed to ask you few questions :

- I know that reading a slide is not appreciated, so shall we prepare what to say for each slide individually and just say what the slide talks about globally ? I am a trainer in other fields and use to prepare my slides this way, I mean I know the topic and just put in the PowerPoint Slide's comments few words, then I freely develop to the audience.

- I know that everyone will be shooting questions, are we supposed to know all answers ?

- If I don't know the answer, what is the best answer I should have, is it : "I don't know", or "I have to double check with my VMware resources and get back to you". ?

- Is going technically deep in answering a question considered good or bad ?

- English is not my mother tongue, is this an issue ?

- What are things to be avoided generally speaking ?

thank you very much for your input !
Wee Kiong Tan said…
Do you do slide reading for your other courses?

We are human some questions we might need to find the answer. You definitely need to handle how you going to revert back. I am sure as a trainer for other courses it applies the same.

You should manage your time to answer questions or get them to email. This is how you manage. What do you do for your other course?

If you can answer more deep it show your knowledge. It is your call to share more or less.

Language is not an issue as long others can understand you during a course.

Be confident and promise what you know with proof.

Popular posts from this blog

Why VMware or Why Not after Broadcom?

VMware by Broadcom, A New Chapter Forward

VMware vExpert 2024 Application is Now Open!