vSphere 5.5 App HA Setup Overview
Instructions from the document is also difficult to understand. I did this many times in my lab to come out with a smooth out process via video and list down all the hiccups you will face.
The App HA documentation site can be found here.
vFabric Hyperic Server documentation can be found here. (This is pointed to version 5.7.x as the vFabric Hyperic Server binary at vCenter 5.5 for App HA is also at 5.7.x.)
The requirements of resources by vFabric Hyperic server:
- HDD requirements for all deployment: 4.4 GB HDD (thin), 91GB (Thick)
- Small Deployment (< 50 platforms)
- Hyperic Server 2vCPU, 2GB memory
- Postgress DB 2vCPU, 2GB memory
- Medium deployment (50 to 250 platforms)
- Hyperic Server 4 vCPU, 4GB memory
- Postgress DB 4 vCPU, 4GB memory
- Large deployment (more than 250 platforms)
- Hyperic Server 12 vCPU, 8GB memory
- Postgress DB 12vCPU, 8GB memory
- App HA server, 2CPU, 4GB memory, 1.3GB HDD (thin)/20GB HDD (Thick)
- vCenter 5.5 with appropriate license
- vFabric Hyperic server 5.7.x installed (deployed OVA)
- Deploy App HA vApp
- in vSphere Web Client, under Administration>vSphere App HA, enter Hyperic setting to connect App HA to Hyperic Server
- Check VM & Application monitoring is enable in HA setting
- vFabric Hyperic Agent installed in guest to be monitored of service (refer below for the agent.conf settings)
- Setup vFabric Agent running the agent option 'install' and 'start' to go through the setup
- Configure vFabric Hyperic server to create a vCenter Server Plug-in
- Create policy
- Apply to specific service on VM to be monitored
First of all before importing the vApp, you would need to setup an IP Pool in vSphere client. (This is called Network Protocol Profiles in the vSphere Web Client)
Next I start to import the vFabric Hyperic vApp.
I tried using the web client and occur an error with a quick check a KB was found that this was an error and was asked to use the thick client. So much of the web client ability.
Going through the import wizard and make sure you specify an IP address for the vFabric Hyperic Server. I do not recommend transient or DHCP IP unless the IP does not change. This is due to the setup of the Hyperic agents later on which is configured using IP address.
vFabric Hyperic Agent Configuration
You may use the .exe binary file to perform the installation or extract the agent file from the .zip file. Below are the configuration changes need to be changed in the agent folder which is extracted from as a folder place in your machine. The file is located at
change the values below and uncomment for the top 3 lines below before starting the agent service:
App HA Policy
A rather confusing how the policy settings are worded and place to me. So here is a summary of how it should sound:
When a service fails, restart service allowing N minutes for each service startup.
Reset VM if restart of service fails.
Reset VM if N times restart of service fails within N period of time.